National Sangria Day – Explore the Basics and Our CBD Twist
Christmas, Hannukah and New Year’s Eve aren’t the only holidays to celebrate this month. December 20th is National Sangria Day! There’s so much to love about this delectable fruity beverage which has persisted as a fan-favorite for centuries throughout the world. With countless variations on the standard sangria recipe, including cocktails and mocktails with sparkling CBD water, sangria can easily be adapted to perfectly suit your preferences as your newest favorite drink.
In honor of National Sangria Day, explore the delectable drink’s rich history, common components, and Colorado's Best Drinks' delectable Sparkling CBD-infused twist on a traditional sangria recipe.
What is Sangria?
Sangria is a flavorful alcoholic punch. While the exact origins of the beverage aren’t definitively known, the drink was first popularized in Spain in Portugal sometime in the 18th century. Interestingly, the word sangria means bloodletting in Spanish and Portuguese.
Sangria is thought to have derived from the Caribbean beverage Sangaree, which was beloved as both a hot and cold beverage. Sangaree was a popular beverage option in early Colonial America. Though Sangaree lost its notoriety by the 1900s, Spanish restaurants soon introduced iced Sangria and the drink was a huge hit, especially once it was featured as a cultural staple in New York’s 1964 World’s Fair.
How is Sangria Made?
There’s a wide variety of individual variations on the standard sangria recipe. Fans of the fruity beverage in its native Spain and across the globe have carefully adapted the core components to add their own personalized twist to the classic drink. Sangria always includes a base of wine and fruity additives to sweeten its natural flavor – and occasionally to boost the potency of its alcoholic effects. While red wine is was used exclusively for centuries, sangria blanca is a recent adaptation using white wine in its place.
The local availability of fresh fruits can play a role in which recipes are well-loved in any given region. Sangria recipes may include berries, apples, pears. Many fans also include citrus fruits like pineapples, oranges and limes in their preferred homemade recipes.
Many sangria lovers swear by the addition of additional ingredients for a more dynamic final form. Sparkling water and flavored liqueurs are an easy addition to simpler sangria recipes to further enhance the drink’s traditional flavor.
Does Sangria Always Contain Alcohol?
Non-alcoholic varieties of sangria allow a tasty alternative for children and adults who would prefer a sober option. The non-alcoholic variety - known as ponche de sangria - includes the same rich fruits as the traditional sangria blend such as oranges, limes and other citrus fruits. Darker berries and food coloring are added to replicate the rich coloration of sangria and intensify the drink’s delectably sweet flavor. Soft drinks or sparkling water serve as the perfect substitute for wine in ponche de sangria.
Sparkling CBD Sangria
For adults of legal age looking for a modern update to the age-old recipe, we’d recommend trying our Sparkling CBD Citrus Water or Hibiscus Water in place of standard bubbly water options – perfectly complementing sangria’s naturally fruity flavor with all-natural, broad spectrum hemp extract and zero sugar or calories. Try your hand at the following specialty sangria blend with your preferred sparkling CBD water flavor for a delicious and refreshing twenty-first century twist on the timeless fruity beverage.
Serves: Three to Four
What You'll Need:
- Twelve ounces red wine (approximately half of one 750ml bottle)
- Two ounces brandy
- One ounce orange liquor
- One medium apple
- One medium orange
- Additional fresh fruit slices, raspberries, blueberries or marischino cherries (for optional garnish)
- One can Sparkling CBD Citrus Water OR Sparkling CBD Hibiscus Water
How It's Made:
- Without peeling either fruit, cut the apple and orange into thin slices.
- Add orange and apple slices to a large pitcher. If desired, store several orange slices separately for an optional garnish to your finished beverages.
- Measure the indicated quantities of brandy and orange liquor, then pour both into the pitcher.
- Uncork red wine and add approximately twelve ounces to pitcher.
- Mix fruit, wine, and liquor with a large stirring spoon or spatula until all components are well-blended.
- Cover the pitcher and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours or, if possible, overnight. While it may be difficult to resist enjoying your sangria right away, allowing time for the blend to settle and cool allows for a sweeter, richer taste.
- Just prior to serving, top off your sangria pitcher with one can of your favorite Sparkling CBD Water flavor. Whether you prefer Sparkling CBD Citrus Water or Sparkling CBD Hibiscus Water, adding either option to sangria complements the core components for a satisfying twist. Gently stir until sparkling CBD water and all other components are blended well.
- Add ice to desired number of glasses.
- Slowly pour approximately one quarter of pitcher’s contents into each glass.
- If desired, garnish each glass with fresh blueberries, raspberries, marischino cherries or thin slices of your favorite fresh fruit.
- Serve and enjoy!
Happy Holidays from Colorado's Best Drinks!
All of us at Colorado's Best Drinks wish you and your loved ones a wonderful holiday season. No matter the occasion, there’s no need for social distancing to stop you from enjoying sweet and satisfying blended beverages. It’s easy to craft your own Sparkling CBD cocktails and mocktails today and every day of the year! Visit our Sparkling Shop to order a twelve-pack or a forty-eight pack of Sparkling CBD Citrus Water, Hibiscus Water or our other delicious products today. We'll bring a case to your doorstep- ready to savor straight from the can or in these delicious drink recipes. All five flavors of our sparkling CBD sodas (and our two flavored Sparkling CBD water options) are delicious and refreshing. Our products all contain phytocannabinoid-rich, broad spectrum hemp extract. Better yet, each sparkling CBD beverage flavor is vegan, non-GMO, and free of gluten, sodium, and preservatives. PCR hemp extract is one of just five ingredients in every can of Colorado's Best Drinks, and you’ll taste that sweet simplicity with every sip.